Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Rock Climbing? Here's to Trying New Things!

Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to go rock climbing for the first time. My academic honors fraternities, Phi Eta Sigma and Alpha Lambda Delta, hosted a group of 11 of us to meet up Sunday afternoon and drive to the South side of Bloomington to Hoosier Heights, a rock climbing facility.


Inside the giant plain gray warehouse are huge ceilings of nothing but rock walls, and even some rock ceilings. The group was split into pairs and taught how to use safety belts, the ropes and other handy tools to safely get our partners up and back down the wall. Our instructor, Matt, explained the importance of communication between partners and how to judge the difficulty of each wall.


As someone who is scared of heights, I really enjoyed myself until I got to the top of my first wall and made the mistake of looking down to see how high I gotten. The walls have varying degrees of difficulty based on how large and what shapes the rocks are, and how far apart pieces are. It really was a great experience, and although I am still sore, I'll definitely be going back soon!


No comments: