Tuesday, September 8, 2009

When the Fun Starts!

When classes start at IU Bloomington, campus is buzzing all day. The days go by in such rapid succession that sometimes you feel like you don't know how to keep up with it all. So when the weekend rolls around, its such a great time for students to catch up on what they are behind on, get ahead for the next week, and just relax. One of my favorite things to do to unwind is attend sporting events. Most of the 24 varsity sports played at IU can be seen for free with your student I.D.; the exception being popular sports like men's basketball or football.

Led by the cheerleading squad with flags, the IU football team runs onto
the field for the first football game of the season. The marching band formed
an "I" for the team to run through and onto the field.


I am a football season ticket holder, and have high hopes for this year's team; there's a lot of talent. So Thursday night, I marched up to Memorial Stadium decked out in my cream and crimson, ready for the game after a long first week of classes. Sitting in the student section, as Max explained last week, is a blast. Your best friends surround you, people are cheering, and you're in the middle of one of those college experiences you always saw on T.V. Needless to say, we were all very excited the Hoosiers were able to pull off a very close 19-13 win over Eastern Kentucky University.

A student watches the introductions of the IU mens soccer team.
The Hoosiers tied with St. John's University last Friday.

With the weekend off to a great start, my friends and I continued the sports theme to our first weekend by going to the first men's soccer game. I never went to an IU soccer game last year, and didn't really know too much about soccer in general. The crazy hits of the ball off of players heads, and very quick foot moves made the game incredibly interesting. Best of all, the first 300 students who filled the lower level student section even got a free "white out" IU soccer t-shirt!

My best girl friends and I at the first home football game of
the year. We all live together in the same dorm and do lots together.


It was a fantastic weekend attending fun IU athletic events with some of my best friends that made all the back-to-school homework a little bit more manageable.

No comments: