Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My Saving Grace From the "Perfect Storm"

This time of year is what I like to refer to as, "the perfect storm". As the midterm season is already starting, so begin the deadlines for summer internship applications.


As I mentioned two weeks ago, there are some fantastic resources at your disposal to help get through this tough time. The writing assistance centers located in Ballantine will help you with your midterm papers, most of the foreign languages offer walk-in assistance times, and the Career Development Center offers lots of job advice.


This week however, with internship applications due on top of tons of homework, I needed a way to get hand-written completed applications to my (hopefully) future employers. In order to complete this task, I literally had an epiphany-esque moment that helped me to remember all the useful tools available to me at the UITS (University Information Technology Services) Print Lab.


We conveniently have a location in the Read basement that allowed me to go down in my sweats and print, complete, scan and e-mail my application to a family member who was willing to fax it for me. With helpful step-by-step instructions taped to the scanner at the workstation, I was able to scan my application into Adobe Acrobat and edit it into a file to e-mail. Talk about awesome!


Plus during peak hours, UITS has a staff member in every print lab on campus to help with your technology problems and their 1-800 number has UITS staff members available 24 hours a day to help with you get through your late-night laptop problems! So make your mid-term and application process less stressful and check out the UITS labs.

No comments: